Vidya Game News – August 23, 2018
Another week, another news roundup! Two in a row is one short of a streak! Huzzah!
- Thanks to Strictly Limited Games, Project Hardcore will see the light of day. The game was thought to be lost after being delayed for new systems in 1994, but it will now be released on the PlayStation 4 and PS Vita.
- A couple good, claysic RPGs will be released for the Switch in the next few months. According to Siliconera, a remaster for Grandia I and Grandia II will be coming out. Also, from Gematsu, Phantasy Star will come out in September. Kotaku has a longer piece on the upgrade work Sega is doing on this, and other games.
- Also coming to the Switch will be Vs. Excitebike, per Nintendo Life and Famitsu. Check out our past show on the game here!
- An old Texaco station in Kentucky has transformed into a classic vidya games bar. Nice! Read more about it here.
ON THIS DAY (OR CLOSE TO IT!) IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY…
- In 1993, Nintendo and Silicon Graphics announced a collaboration on 64-bit hardware, Project Reality, that would later become… The Nintendo 64. Read the original press release here.
- Moonwalker turns 28! Way, way older than the tykes featured in the game. Check out our previous episode, an awesome, loose conversation with Friend of the Show Backsack, here.
- In 2003, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness and SoulCalibur II were released. Both were popular in their respective genres, and holy hell, they’re both 15 years old at this point???
Video game history information comes from GameFAQs and Moby Games. When possible, we attempt to link to original sources for all reporting, and we don’t typically link to stupid multi-page galleries. And as always, if you’d like to support the show, do so via our Amazon link.
Vidya Game News – February 17, 2017
– Those wonderful people on Reddit have managed to get Primal Rage 2 working on MAME. Read more here!
– Polygon and other sites are reporting that the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane trilogy will hit stores on June 30. You can listen to our Crash Bandicoot show here!
– On Twitter, via US Gamer, some lucky journalists back in the day got promotional t-shirts for Project Reality, the early name for the N64. And, they’re gloooorrrrrious.
– Unholy Night, a new SNES fighting game by the makers of Samurai Showdown and King of Fighters, is looking for Kickstarter backers for a physical release. You can find more info here.
– Achievement Oriented, the video game podcast on Bill Simmons’ Ringer network, had an interesting episode on the future of sports video games – and how bad NBA Live has been lately – and how damn successful Grand Theft Auto 5 has been. You can listen to it here!
– Den of Geek has a good story on the weird approval process for the bad… well, worse versions of Moonwalker. You can listen to our show on the “good” Genesis one here!
– EXCELLENT! Keanu Reeves confirmed that work is continuing on Bill and Ted 3. Hopefully it doesn’t spawn another horrible vidya game though, as we discussed on a previous show.
As always, if you’d like to support the show, do so via our Amazon link.