Episode 114 – Desert Strike (1992)
This week in Your Parents Basement, we are saving a country that is not Iraq from a dictator that is not Saddam Hussein! From 1992, we’re playing Desert Strike by Electronic Arts for the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo.
You can manually download this week’s missile-focused podcast here or subscribe to the show via the iTunes store. To manually subscribe, use this link in the device / podcast player of choice. You can also follow us on Twitter, or ‘like’ us on Facebook.
As always, if you like the show, support us by buying from Amazon! You can use this link to go to Amazon, and any purchase you make will kick a couple bucks to the show, with no extra cost to you. It’s a win-win!
Want to have an email or comment read on the air? Want to have your voicemail played? Send all mails and audio files to email@example.com.
- 0:00 – Intro, which features the title theme from the Sega Genesis version.
- 24:00 – We don’t know how he did it, but Todd Brisket has landed another A-list Hollywood interview in… Touchin’ Joysticks.
- 30:30 – Emails! How hyped are we for the SNES Classic? Any good vidya game deals?
- 46:30 – We help another person in… Ask the Sweet Boys.
- 52:00 – Snifferoo. Next week, we’re looking at the dark, disappointing years of a classic 1980s icon.
- 55:30 – Huell aptly names the new end segment… The Blooperoonie.
– According to Price Charting, Desert Strike and the rest of the series is still very affordable. If you want the loose cart, its around $5 to $7, and the box and manual included will set you back $10.
– Ken Horowitz of Sega-16 has a really good piece on the history of the Strike series here.
Episode 006 – NHL Series (1992 to 1997)
EA SPORTS! If it’s in the game, then it’s in the game. And this week, we played plenty of games in Your Parents Basement, as we did our best to tackle the many volumes of the NHL series by EA Sports.
While discussion mostly focuses on the two classics of the series, NHLPA 93 and NHL 94, we also do touch upon the other 16-bit editions. It’s possibly the longest running series between the two major consoles, with 95, 96, 97 and (surprisingly!) 98, the same year as the last NHL game for the Sega Saturn. (Sorry Sega, we don’t mean to give you so much shade.)
To download this week’s show, click here! You can also subscribe to the show via iTunes, or manually use this link. If you like the show, be sure to give us some starrrrssss. You can also follow us on Twitter, or ‘like’ us on Facebook.
This week’s show notes are short, because all three of us were out ramblin’ this week. (That’s also why there wasn’t a news post – There should be one as normally scheduled Thursday though!) Here are three links though: Baseball Mogul, a fun baseball simulation, and Out of the Park, which is insanely complex and only for the hardcore sports simulation junkies. And the snifferoo from last week came from this YouTube clip.