This week in Your Parents Basement, we are whipping our way past rabid dogs to save Princess Whatsername! From 1994, we’re playing Earthworm Jim by Shiny for the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis.
You can manually download this week’s groooovy podcast here or subscribe to the show via the iTunes store. To manually subscribe, use this link in the device / podcast player of choice. You can also follow us on Twitter, or ‘like’ us on Facebook.
As always, if you like the show, support us by buying from Amazon! You can use this link to go to Amazon, and any purchase you make will kick a couple bucks to the show, with no extra cost to you. It’s a win-win!
Want to have an email or comment read on the air? Send us a message on the ole Twitter or Facebook, or, shoot that mail to email@example.com.
- 0:00 – Intro, which features one of the weird commercials that aired on TV for Earthworm Jim. You can watch the whole thing here.
- 38:30 – Emails! A special friend writes in, and a listener has an Ask about Japanese arcades.
- 49:30 – It’s the new favorite segment that’s sweeping the land! Ask The Sweet Boys.
- 58:00 – Snifferoo. It is a platforming video game that we will be playing that involves playing a platforming video game.
– According to Price Charting, Earthworm Jim has retained its value pretty well. The loose cart still goes for $15 to $25, depending on the platform, with double the price for the box and manual included.
– As mentioned by Pat on the show, here is Pacman with single-celled organisms!
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons!”
Here’s some news to go with them lemons:
– The lead designer from Earthworm Jim says he would be open to doing a sequel. That, and more, are in the linked Reddit AMA.
– Also on Reddit: Is it possible for Scrooge McDuck to swim through the gold coins in his money vault? Probably not.
– Via Twitter, Sega has announced there will be a Game Gear theme available the 3DS, which would have seemed impossible in the early 1990s. (Then again, so would the 3DS, and smartphones, and the Internet…)
– Cassidee Moser of IGN.com has a heads-up about this Reddit user, who’s turned an old NES cart into a working NES.
– The 8-Bit Guy has a YouTube video about how the music was made on the NES and Commodore.
– Good times, good times! From Destructoid, a guy pawned a Genesis, not knowing there was meth inside.
– WDRB has a story on getting out of Your Parents Basement. Ugh, why would you ever want to do that?
ON THIS DAY IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY…
– NBA Live 2003 and NBA 2K3 game out for the Playstation 2, Xbox and Gamecube in 2002, oddly enough. Of course, NBA 2K3 was better.