This week in Your Parents Basement, we are taking a couple days off and sharing the fruit of our back catalog! Please enjoy the following outtakes and off-topic discussions from episodes 44 through 52, recorded in 2016.
You can manually download this week’s podcast here or subscribe to the show via the iTunes store. To manually subscribe, use this link in the device / podcast player of choice. You can also follow us on Twitter, or ‘like’ us on Facebook.
And now, there is a Discord channel for all the sweet baby boy and girl fans of YPB! Check it out here, and rub elbows with your favorite co-hosts. Are you yearning and craving a clayyyssiiiccc YPB episode? Well, they are now collected here for you! Find episodes #1 to #52 right there, in Volume I!
As always, if you like the show, support us by buying from Amazon! You can use this link to go to Amazon, and any purchase you make will kick a couple bucks to the show, with no extra cost to you. It’s a win-win!
Want to have an email or comment read on the air? Want to have your voicemail played? Send all mails and audio files to email@example.com.
TIMESTAMPS AND CHAPTER TITLES
- 1) Getting Comfortable… With Our Butts. – 0:00
- 2) Has There Ever Been Superman? – 3:15
- 3) PEAKY BLINDERS, Names on “The Simpsons” and Todd’s Sleepy Times – 4:52
- 4) Pee Break – 9:32
- 5) What’s Next? Is It A Game? – 11:26
- 6) Michigan J. YPBoyz – 14:31
- 7) Arcade Dreaming, Crushing Realities, Pro Skeeballers and Free Plum Day – 17:18
- 8) Hamster Talk – 23:39
- 9) The Lineage of the Estevez Brothers – 24:46
- 10) Kobe’s Last Game With Sack – 26:40
- 11) Gilbert Gottfried’s Old Hollywood and 4/20 Talk MANNNN – 28:36
- 12) A YPB Favorite, Dead Air! – 37:14
- 13) Snifferoo – 38:34
– Kyle Orland of Ars Technica has a good piece on why developers need to embrace emulation to preserve gaming history.
– Mike Fahey of Kotaku has a good read on how a planned Superman game instead sunk a game studio, Factor 5, the one behind Rogue Squadron.
– Steve Tilley of The Toronto Sun has a look at Batman games vs. Superman games, with the movie soon to come out. He comes to roughly the same conclusion that YPB did, in that Batman games are way better.
– Looking to signify to everyone who visits your home that you’re a massive geek? Check out this nifty Retro NES Shower Curtain!
– Atari has revealed the list of games in its upcoming Atari Vault collection. The 100 games can be seen here, on IGN.com.
ON THIS DAY IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY…
– In 2003, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker came out for the Gamecube. It got universally great reviews, although some did gripe about the sailing aspects.
– The Playstation Portable came out in 2005. Amazingly, it was technically supported by Sony until being discontinued in 2014, and sold 82 million units worldwide. While it’s maligned because of its weird game format and somewhat flimsy nature, there are some good re-releases of the Persona and Final Fantasy series available for it.
– Speaking of the PSP… Crisis Core, an action-RPG prequel to Final Fantasy VII, came out for the system in 2008. It was actually a pretty solid game! Unfortunately, it did further complicate the timeline for the original game, which is now a mess.