Vidya Game News – October 7, 2016
– Visiting Portugal anytime soon? You might want to sleep in this Super Mario Bros. themed Airbnb room, then! Story comes courtesy Thrillist. And, check out our past episodes on SMB1 and SMB2!
– Fans are desperate for Nintendo to release some info, any info, on the upcoming NX console. So much so that they’re now speculating a Papa John’s news release could be about the console. Polygon pokes fun at the phenomenon here.
– Nintendo executives and ads sales people might be losing their collective minds though, judging from this (really loud) commercial for new colors on the 2DS. Starring Luigi!
– Gamasutra has a really good blog entry from John Szczepaniak on the dark side of the Japanese gaming industry’s work practices. I found that article in The Game Beat Weekly, which is Kyle Orland’s awesome weekly email about the gaming industry. Subscribe to it here!
– From Geek.com, a Commodore 64 has been running an auto shop for 25 years. Read more here!
ON THIS DAY (OR CLOSE TO IT!) IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY…
– MORTAL KOMBAT! … was released in the arcades on October 8, 1992. The gory fighter from Midway Games was hella popular, thanks to its mixture of Street Fighter 2 mechanics with bloody combat.
– Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber came out for the N64 today in 2000. Quest’s follow-up to their earlier games was a bit more accessible than the originals, but still just a niche title that’s now a cult classic. (And speaking of, Tactics Ogre came out on October 6, 1995 for the SNES in Japan.)
Video game history information comes from GameFAQs and Moby Games. And as always, if you’d like to support the show, do so via our Amazon link.
Episode 050 – Zombies Ate My Neighbors (1993)
This week in Your Parents Basement, we are doing our best to save lives and to destroy zombies with water pistols! From 1993, we’re playing Zombies Ate My Neighbors by LucasArts for the Super Nintendo and Genesis.
You can manually download this week’s spooooooky podcast here or subscribe to the show via the iTunes store. To manually subscribe, use this link in the device / podcast player of choice. You can also follow us on Twitter, or ‘like’ us on Facebook.
As always, if you like the show, support us by buying from Amazon! You can use this link to go to Amazon, and any purchase you make will kick a couple bucks to the show, with no extra cost to you. It’s a win-win!
Want to have an email or comment read on the air? Send us a message on the ole Twitter or Facebook, or, shoot that mail to email@example.com.
- 0:00 – Intro, which is the music for the first tough level featuring the Chainsaw Charlies.
- 44:30 – Emails! We hear from some old friends, and make some new ones with Hollywood royalty, plus, talk about which games we could play professionally.
- 1:00:15 – Snifferoo. Next week, we are playing one of the classic SNES games, and probably, Steve’s favorite game of all-time!
– According to Price Charting, Zombies has held up its value pretty well! The Genesis version goes for $30 for just the cart, and the SNES one is $37.50. The Genesis one is $66 new, while the SNES one is $270. Heavy cash!
– At Hardcore Gaming 101, John Szczepaniak and Sam Derboo have a good piece about the creations of Zombies, compiling some quotes from various sources. Read it here!
– The sequel to ZAMN is Ghoul Patrol, which we didn’t play for the show. However, you can check it out on YouTube here. It’s a direct sequel, with the same characters.
– Zombies Ate My Neighbors fanart is weird.