This week in Your Parents Basement, don’t be a dummy – Buckle up! From 1993, we’re playing various versions of The Incredible Crash Dummies by Gray Matter Inc. and published by (ugh) LJN for the Game Boy, Gear Gear, Sega Master System, SNES, NES and Sega Genesis.
You can manually download this week’s product-filled podcast here or subscribe to the show via the iTunes store. To manually subscribe, use this link in the device / podcast player of choice. You can also follow us on Twitter, or ‘like’ us on Facebook.
As always, if you like the show, support us by buying from Amazon! You can use this link to go to Amazon, and any purchase you make will kick a couple bucks to the show, with no extra cost to you. It’s a win-win!
Want to have an email or comment read on the air? Want to have your voicemail played? Send all mails and audio files to email@example.com.
- 0:00 – Intro, which features a Blooperoonie and one of the dummies’ better PSAs.
- 27:00 – Huell has some reasons why the Game Boy version is… The Most Worst Game of All-Time.
- 32:00 – Todd has some reasons why the SNES version is… The Most Best Game of All-Time.
- 37:00 – Voicemails! Another former president calls in.
- 42:45 – Emails!
- 51:00 – As always, we help some people with Todd’s help, in Ask The Sweet Boys.
- 56:00 – Snifferoo. We’re playing a controversial Sega CD game, because it’s being re-released!
– According to Price Charting, all versions of The Incredible Crash Dummies can be purchased for $3 to $16. The box and manual for the NES and SNES versions push the price up to $22 and $49, but really, these games aren’t especially worth any price you’d pay for them.
– While we mentioned LJN, the game’s publisher, on the show, we didn’t talk about the developing company, Gray Matter Inc. According to Moby Games, they were Canada’s biggest game developer at one time, and they do have some OK games on their dossier, like WWF King of the Ring and NHL All-Star Hockey. But, they also did Wayne’s World, another notoriously awful game.
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons!”
Here’s some news to go with them lemons:
– The lead designer from Earthworm Jim says he would be open to doing a sequel. That, and more, are in the linked Reddit AMA.
– Also on Reddit: Is it possible for Scrooge McDuck to swim through the gold coins in his money vault? Probably not.
– Via Twitter, Sega has announced there will be a Game Gear theme available the 3DS, which would have seemed impossible in the early 1990s. (Then again, so would the 3DS, and smartphones, and the Internet…)
– Cassidee Moser of IGN.com has a heads-up about this Reddit user, who’s turned an old NES cart into a working NES.
– The 8-Bit Guy has a YouTube video about how the music was made on the NES and Commodore.
– Good times, good times! From Destructoid, a guy pawned a Genesis, not knowing there was meth inside.
– WDRB has a story on getting out of Your Parents Basement. Ugh, why would you ever want to do that?
ON THIS DAY IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY…
– NBA Live 2003 and NBA 2K3 game out for the Playstation 2, Xbox and Gamecube in 2002, oddly enough. Of course, NBA 2K3 was better.